Night Out Against Crime events include kickoff at Milne Rec Center
The 40th annual Night Out Against Crime will take place Tuesday (Oct. 17). The Night Out Against Crime in New Orleans is a community-wide event to raise crime prevention awareness, reduce crime and increase the support of local, state and federal law enforcement. It began over 30 years ago with NOPD officer Kelly Marrione.
Night Out Against Crime brings together citizens, law enforcement agencies, civic groups, businesses, neighborhood organizations and local officials for events that allow neighbors to get to know each other and their local police officers to form stronger communities.
Mayor LaToya Cantrell and the NOPD, along with other city officials, will kick off the 40th Annual Night Out Against Crime beginning at 5 p.m. on at the Milne Recreation Center, 5420 Franklin Avenue.
The event is free to the public and will feature music, food and drinks, family-friendly activities, various community resources and more! There will also be special appearances by NOPD’s Mounted and K-9 Units.
Participants are encouraged to post photos from the Night Out Against Crime festivities on social media using the hashtag #NightOutNOLA. The NOPD’s official social media handle is @NOPDNews.
Other Night Out events in the Gentilly area include:
- 3711 Franklin Ave., Edgewood Park Neighborhood Association, 3 p.m.
- 4500 Annette St., Voscoville Neighborhood Watch, 5:30 p.m.
- Lake Oaks Park, Lake Oaks Civic Association, 5:30 p.m.
- 4864 Desire Drive, Gentilly Woods Association, 6 p.m.
- 3657 Clermont Drive, Mont’ly Krewe, 6:30 p.m.
- 4000 Roneagle Way, McDonogh 35 Senior High, 7 p.m.
- 1456 Gardena Drive, Oak Park Civic Association, 8 p.m.